NEWSFLASH:
The New York Yankees are coming to Pittsburgh.
It will be their first time here since the 1960 World Series. The Bucs won on Maz's homer.
The Yankees have a really high payroll. The Pirates don't.
Tickets to all three games are sold out.
The series is kind of a big deal. There's been things in the paper and on TV and radio showing historical bits leading up to this week. I saw a giant replica of the Forbes Field scoreboard on that fateful day in 1960 on the side of PNC Park as I left the stadium on Sunday. It's always something important if the Pirates draw a sellout.
----
PITCHING MATCHUPS:
(With the Dumatrait injury and the off day, the starters all just move up one day. They'll still have normal rest.)
Tuesday: Darrell Rasner vs. Tom Gorzelanny
Wednesday: Joba Chamberlain vs. Zach Duke
Thursday: Mike Mussina vs. Paul Maholm
-----
OK, I haven't even heard of Rasner. I'm sure you're aware of the Chamberlain-becoming-a-starter saga, and Mussina is a historically solid pitcher.
Gorzo pitched well at Yankee Stadium last year. Maholm: not so much (that was the day Clemens pitched--I was there) Duke did not face the Yankees (at least not last year).
I don't think Joba was in the majors by the time the Pirates came to town last season. As I said, I have no clue who Rasner is. Mussina pitched well against us when we were swept in the Bronx a few years ago (under McClendon).
-----
Actually, that was an interesting time. The Pirates had just reached .500--in JUNE (30-30) after winning the second game of a 3 game set at home vs. Tampa Bay--in blowout fashion. The next day, the Bucs pulled off a dramatic comeback in the 9th but lost in extras. After that, they were headed to Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park (at 30-31--pretty darn respectable for the Pirates). I still remember the first game of that Yankees series. The Pirates had the lead in the 9th, but Gary Sheffield was up with one out and men at the corners. He hit a double play ball, and the Pirates turned it. Replays showed he was out (game over, raise it!). Ump called him safe. Yanks won in extras.
The Yankees destroyed the Pirates the next two days, and the Bucs lost 2 of 3 at Fenway. The season went all downhill from there.
--------------------
Last year. We weren't exactly anywhere near .500, but the Yankees were struggling, too. We had made plans to go up to New York to see the final two games of the series at Yankee Stadium--and I was pretty darn excited. Well, consider me not so excited after the three game sweep. The only game that was close was the one that happened while we were on a plane from PGH to NY. I still enjoyed the trip, but it was seriously depressing.
The trip is summed up very well [here].
----------
Anyway, the Yanks are indeed coming tomorrow. They sit at 41-35, and were red-hot before losing 2 of 3 to the REDS at home this weekend. We're 36-40. Although not in postseason contention, the Pirates are still hanging around .500 (within reach) -- close enough to keep most of their fans interested. PNC Park will see its first sellout since Opening Day--for ALL three games. Most of these people aren't going to give us much of a chance, since we're the Pirates and they're the Yankees, they have money and we don't, and the last two times the teams met (see above). If we get swept AGAIN, the season could very well end right now. We're out of pitching, in interleague play where we stink, and at the point where 4 games or less below .500 is close and 6-7 or more is not close--just developing into yet another losing season. This series is BIG. If the Pirates win two or sweep (or maybe even just take ONE)--all those people watching (not to mention THE TEAM) will have a heck of a lot more confidence. Who knows what that could lead to, but if we can keep hanging around, a giant boost like this would certainly help.
--------
The New York Yankees are coming to Pittsburgh.
It will be their first time here since the 1960 World Series. The Bucs won on Maz's homer.
The Yankees have a really high payroll. The Pirates don't.
Tickets to all three games are sold out.
The series is kind of a big deal. There's been things in the paper and on TV and radio showing historical bits leading up to this week. I saw a giant replica of the Forbes Field scoreboard on that fateful day in 1960 on the side of PNC Park as I left the stadium on Sunday. It's always something important if the Pirates draw a sellout.
----
PITCHING MATCHUPS:
(With the Dumatrait injury and the off day, the starters all just move up one day. They'll still have normal rest.)
Tuesday: Darrell Rasner vs. Tom Gorzelanny
Wednesday: Joba Chamberlain vs. Zach Duke
Thursday: Mike Mussina vs. Paul Maholm
-----
OK, I haven't even heard of Rasner. I'm sure you're aware of the Chamberlain-becoming-a-starter saga, and Mussina is a historically solid pitcher.
Gorzo pitched well at Yankee Stadium last year. Maholm: not so much (that was the day Clemens pitched--I was there) Duke did not face the Yankees (at least not last year).
I don't think Joba was in the majors by the time the Pirates came to town last season. As I said, I have no clue who Rasner is. Mussina pitched well against us when we were swept in the Bronx a few years ago (under McClendon).
-----
Actually, that was an interesting time. The Pirates had just reached .500--in JUNE (30-30) after winning the second game of a 3 game set at home vs. Tampa Bay--in blowout fashion. The next day, the Bucs pulled off a dramatic comeback in the 9th but lost in extras. After that, they were headed to Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park (at 30-31--pretty darn respectable for the Pirates). I still remember the first game of that Yankees series. The Pirates had the lead in the 9th, but Gary Sheffield was up with one out and men at the corners. He hit a double play ball, and the Pirates turned it. Replays showed he was out (game over, raise it!). Ump called him safe. Yanks won in extras.
The Yankees destroyed the Pirates the next two days, and the Bucs lost 2 of 3 at Fenway. The season went all downhill from there.
--------------------
Last year. We weren't exactly anywhere near .500, but the Yankees were struggling, too. We had made plans to go up to New York to see the final two games of the series at Yankee Stadium--and I was pretty darn excited. Well, consider me not so excited after the three game sweep. The only game that was close was the one that happened while we were on a plane from PGH to NY. I still enjoyed the trip, but it was seriously depressing.
The trip is summed up very well [here].
----------
Anyway, the Yanks are indeed coming tomorrow. They sit at 41-35, and were red-hot before losing 2 of 3 to the REDS at home this weekend. We're 36-40. Although not in postseason contention, the Pirates are still hanging around .500 (within reach) -- close enough to keep most of their fans interested. PNC Park will see its first sellout since Opening Day--for ALL three games. Most of these people aren't going to give us much of a chance, since we're the Pirates and they're the Yankees, they have money and we don't, and the last two times the teams met (see above). If we get swept AGAIN, the season could very well end right now. We're out of pitching, in interleague play where we stink, and at the point where 4 games or less below .500 is close and 6-7 or more is not close--just developing into yet another losing season. This series is BIG. If the Pirates win two or sweep (or maybe even just take ONE)--all those people watching (not to mention THE TEAM) will have a heck of a lot more confidence. Who knows what that could lead to, but if we can keep hanging around, a giant boost like this would certainly help.
--------

