Let me start with this. Bay's trade isn't exactly breaking news at the moment (word first came out at 4:30) and I'm sure you know the details at this point.
-
If you scroll down, you'll see that liveblog I was doing from around 10:30 AM all the way up to 4:00 on the nose. I was well aware that deals are often not reported until after then, but I had to leave for a 5-hour road trip to Michigan at quarter after 4. Unfortunate, I know. Of course, nothing had happened by then. I had seemingly spent my entire morning and afternoon waiting for a deal that never happened.
-
But while in the car, ESPN Radio chimed in with news as 5:00 drew near. Manny to the Dodgers, they said. OK, those talks were growing as the deadline neared. Still no Pirates.
-
They proceeded to talk about Boston, and whether or not they'd be better off with Bay or Manny.
Wait, Bay?
-
So I'd gathered we had traded Bay to Boston, with Los Angeles obviously involved. How had that happened? Obviously, I had been following all day and everything was either Tampa or the Florida/Boston deal. No Dodgers.
-
So since ESPN radio didn't even mention the Pirates' return, I ventured to the mobile internet (a difficult task in a highway in the middle of Ohio). Finally, Finally, Finally this:
Bay to Boston
Manny to L.A.
3B Andy LaRoche, SP Bryan Morris from Dodgers to Pirates
RP Craig Hansen, OF Brandon Moss from Red Sox to Pirates
There it is.
----------
Well, of course I knew a little about Andy (before you ask, the answer is yes, Adam's brother), since he'd been rumored in Pirate trades before. I like him. But the other guys I had no idea about. So Jesse texted me with mostly positive word. All but LaRoche (the prize) are former first round picks. All but Morris (Single-A, recovering nicely from injury) are joining the Pirates right away. Bixler was sent down, and Duffy and Osoria were DFA'd.
--------
--------
So that was my day. Upon arrival at the hotel a few minutes ago, I scoured the internet (quickly) to see what the rest of the bloggers thought. They like it a lot, it seems. Obviously, we'll miss Bay, he's a great guy and he's done a lot for us. But this trade is a great thing for the Pirates' future.
-------
I would have a lot more details on this but I'm stuck in a hotel room with some very tired family. Once I get home, I will recap both trades. It gets a lot calmer from here, people.
-------
Again, thanks for checking in today if you did at all. We got a ton of visits and I felt bad you all would not see anything on the big deal once it happened. Sorry about that, but please know I did the best I could.
Good night.
-
If you scroll down, you'll see that liveblog I was doing from around 10:30 AM all the way up to 4:00 on the nose. I was well aware that deals are often not reported until after then, but I had to leave for a 5-hour road trip to Michigan at quarter after 4. Unfortunate, I know. Of course, nothing had happened by then. I had seemingly spent my entire morning and afternoon waiting for a deal that never happened.
-
But while in the car, ESPN Radio chimed in with news as 5:00 drew near. Manny to the Dodgers, they said. OK, those talks were growing as the deadline neared. Still no Pirates.
-
They proceeded to talk about Boston, and whether or not they'd be better off with Bay or Manny.
Wait, Bay?
-
So I'd gathered we had traded Bay to Boston, with Los Angeles obviously involved. How had that happened? Obviously, I had been following all day and everything was either Tampa or the Florida/Boston deal. No Dodgers.
-
So since ESPN radio didn't even mention the Pirates' return, I ventured to the mobile internet (a difficult task in a highway in the middle of Ohio). Finally, Finally, Finally this:
Bay to Boston
Manny to L.A.
3B Andy LaRoche, SP Bryan Morris from Dodgers to Pirates
RP Craig Hansen, OF Brandon Moss from Red Sox to Pirates
There it is.
----------
Well, of course I knew a little about Andy (before you ask, the answer is yes, Adam's brother), since he'd been rumored in Pirate trades before. I like him. But the other guys I had no idea about. So Jesse texted me with mostly positive word. All but LaRoche (the prize) are former first round picks. All but Morris (Single-A, recovering nicely from injury) are joining the Pirates right away. Bixler was sent down, and Duffy and Osoria were DFA'd.
--------
--------
So that was my day. Upon arrival at the hotel a few minutes ago, I scoured the internet (quickly) to see what the rest of the bloggers thought. They like it a lot, it seems. Obviously, we'll miss Bay, he's a great guy and he's done a lot for us. But this trade is a great thing for the Pirates' future.
-------
I would have a lot more details on this but I'm stuck in a hotel room with some very tired family. Once I get home, I will recap both trades. It gets a lot calmer from here, people.
-------
Again, thanks for checking in today if you did at all. We got a ton of visits and I felt bad you all would not see anything on the big deal once it happened. Sorry about that, but please know I did the best I could.
Good night.


0 comments:
Post a Comment